Adnexitis – diagnosis and complications
What symptoms and complications can occur?
The range of possible symptoms ranging from severe abdominal pain and fever due to acute infection up to a light, always repeating the Drag-and-cycle disorders in chronic courses of the disease. Acute pelvic inflammatory disease may mimic appendicitis, excluded an ectopic needs to be pregnancy. Typical symptoms that occur but not always and not all together, are:
- Acute pelvic inflammatory disease: The most common are sudden, strong is an understatement abdominal pain and fever over 38°C. The abdomen is often inflated and stretched. In addition, there may be vaginal also vaginal discharge with unpleasant odor, Nausea, irregularities in bowel movements or during Menstruation. Sometimes pain during urination. The longer the infection lasts, the more sick the patients are feeling. The touch and movement of the uterus, e.g. during sexual intercourse or gynecological examination hurts.
- Chronic pelvic inflammatory disease: Cures the acute inflammation, e.g., due to unsuccessful therapy or leads to the healing of scarring, and adhesions that occur over months to years or a number of complaints. So Concerned about pain complaints in the lower abdomen or back, especially during intercourse or during the menstrual period, constipation, or a General reduction in performance, tiredness and loss of appetite.
Complications in the acute stage, Spreading of the inflammation to neighboring organs such as the cecum and the peritoneum, which can lead to a life-threatening Situation (acute Abdomen). Feared and often the risk that the fallopian tubes of glue. Thus, the risk for gut is cave pregnant and infertility (sterility) is greatly increased: After the first pelvic inflammatory disease sterility rate is already 12%, each additional doubling this! This means that after four ovarian the probability in the normal way pregnant inflammation, is close to Zero.
How is the diagnosis?
First, the doctor will ask questions about complaints and diseases. Also important is the Smoking and sexual habits. In the case of the woman’s medical examination with the vaginal mirror smears for microscopic examination and Culturing of the germs are taken in such a culture. At the palpation of the uterus and fallopian tubes, often as a welded keys want and pressure are painful. In addition, blood is examined for signs of inflammation; an ultrasound scan is used to exclude other diseases and the detection of complications such as an abscess. Suspicion of an ectopic pregnancy is a pregnancy test. Can be found no definite cause for the complaints, may be performed a laparoscopy (laparoscopy).
back more article content
- Adnexitis – inflammation of the ovaries and fallopian tubes
- Adnexitis – diagnosis and complications
- Pelvic inflammatory disease – treatment and prevention