Eating and Drinking in dementia – diet tips
In people with severe dementia of the taste and smell of food and drink memories may cause of once-popular dishes and traditions. The Aroma of coffee for Breakfast, the smell of freshly baked waffles or sautéed bacon with onions is earlier times past and wakes up about often the appetite. Also the dishes in the food preparation, a familiar noise is rattling. Let their relatives with dementia, therefore, as often as possible to the everyday things, and try him by familiar smells and sounds, at least temporarily, back into our world back.
New Table Manners
Eat with a knife and fork is the most natural thing in the world. People with advanced dementia, on the other hand, true Cutlery as a threat. Also you do not know how to interpret often the function properly. It is easy to grab with the fingers. Certainly everyone is concerned about, first of all put off and uncomfortable. But the mouth remains in the case of many closed, if the fork or the spoon approaches. You give in these cases, help in dealing with the Cutlery.
This does not lead to success, to let you easy to eat with fingers. To prepare the best dishes, which can be good with the fingers and eaten, so-called “finger food”. For example, croquettes, vegetable sticks, fish sticks, and hack can ball with the fingers to eat. As a result, the table in a relaxed situation, it is not a mess and pounded to a pulp.
So far the feet carry
The urge to movement and the inner restlessness consume dementia patients to substantial amounts of energy. Constant Moving of furniture, endless running Around, but also the stereotypes and moaning the energy demand increase screaming. Especially in the case of the additional disturbances in eating and Drinking, it can result in fast weight loss and malnutrition. Therefore, the food and drinks should be the most energy-rich.
So you bring more calories to the plate!
- You can Refine sauces, soups and casseroles with cream or Creme fraiche.
- Enter Butter or vegetable oil to vegetable dishes.
- You can use cream cottage cheese and cream yogurt.
- Provide snacks between meals, such as biscuits, nuts and Cheese.
- Prepare calorie milk shakes rich to, for example, from pureed fruit, cream, curd, and sugar.
- In the case of severe weight loss of energy and nutrient drinking foods from the pharmacy rich to be helpful. They are available in many different flavors and you can be well as a between-meal used.
The personal environment customize
Keep in mind the wide range of changes in behaviour that the person can adapt to his environment, rather the environment has to be adapted to the patient. This is detected, is sick of dealing with dementia is often easier, and some of the conflict situation is avoided. Also the food and Drink makes for a lot easier and even to old age fun.
Book Review/The Reading Tip
- Deutsche Alzheimer Gesellschaft e. V. (2004) nutrition in the home care of people with dementia.
- aid infodienst verbraucherschutz, ernährung, Landwirtschaft e. V., German society for nutrition (ed.): Nutrition in old age – a guide for relatives and Carers.
back to article contents
- Eating and Drinking in dementia
- Eating and Drinking in dementia – diet tips