Gonorrhea (The Clap)
The rather than the clap-known infection is the world’s second most common sexually transmitted disease. Offender gonococci, ball-and-bacteria that live only on humans, and almost exclusively through direct mucus contact, so unprotected sex skin to be transferred.
Of microbes and human
Each year, over 60 million people are infected worldwide. Since the mid-90s, a significant increase in the new can again be sick to watch, after their number was continuously decreasing.
The reasons are probably multiple, including mass and sex tourism in distant countries, in particular Asia, a return to a reckless sexual behavior after the decay of the Anti-Aids campaigns and the increasing resistance of the pathogens responsible. A trend that some researchers cause for concern. Critical voices note that the currently easy-to-treat disease could develop in the future, a problem child, similar to other infections, which are common antibiotics fail already. The prevention would be relatively easy.
For the pathogen, subject to Neisseria gonorrhoeae commonly known, man is the only Reservoir. Since they are extremely sensitive to dehydration and cold, so outside of their human host, almost no chances of Survival. Its eradication would thus be theoretically possible. And since the germs are transmitted almost only during intercourse is with a condom the risk of Infection minimized.
Hard facts and dark digits
Up to the year 2001, the gonorrhea in Germany was to be reported. In addition to the then officially-known annual 2.200 disease cases, an estimated dark figure of 80-90%. Experts believe that these Figures are still valid or even more higher. Especially affected are young adults of both sex. This is due both to earlier and earlier Start to sexual activity until 16. Age of 45 % of girls and 36% of boys associated with a higher number of sexual partners and the experimentation for various sexual practices, both hetero and Homo sexual nature, as well as the reluctance to use condoms.
In addition, the anatomy and hormonal balance of younger girls seem to increase the risk for ascending infections. In addition, gonorrhea is very contagious. About a third of the men infected in a single sexual contact with a sick wife. For women the risk is even as high as 60-90 %, if you have intercourse with an infected man. More often than not are of gonorrhea fell Ill with the Aids Virus or the syphilis pathogen infected.
The symptoms in man and woman
- Women: If complaints occur, they are usually nonspecific and manifest as Burning sensation during urination, unpleasant-smelling vaginal discharge and swelling of the labia. The bacteria can ascend through the uterus into the fallopian tubes and ovaries and lead to inflammation with fever and lower abdominal complaints, and infertility. To clap ill Pregnant woman can infect her child during birth and lead to an inflammation of the eyes, used to be one of the most common cause of blindness of children in the Western world.
- Men: The disease starts with a burning pain when urinating, followed by mucous, later yellow-green discharge from the urethra. The morning collection of the first water has helped him also to the name “Bonjour-drop”. The excitation can migrate to the prostate and the epididymis and inflammation, followed by infertility cause.
Depending on the location of the Transmission path, it can also lead to inflammation of the rectum or the mucous membrane of the mouth. Rarely, the pathogens enter the bloodstream and cause skin rashes, joint inflammation, fever, and chills. Rare but severe complications include skin, Brain, heart muscle, eye and bone marrow inflammation.
Detection and therapy
The diagnosis is by Smears of secretions from the vagina and the urethra and the detection of the pathogens under the microscope. Bacteria cultures can be created. At the height of the excitation number in the blood can be closed by means of nucleic acid amplification test. The therapy with antibiotics is usually quickly and successfully. Only rarely do these have to be injected.
Unfortunately, resistance in the last years of pathogens (particularly from Asia and Africa) are increasingly resistant to common antibiotics, so that reserve funds have to be used. Necessarily, the co-Treatment of the sexual partner is to avoid a “Ping-Pong-effect”. A week after the end of Treatment should be checked with a swab of the success of therapy.
To the point
- The disease can initially be asymptomatic and unknowingly passed on.
- The infection occurs almost exclusively through vaginal, anal, or oral intercourse.
- With early diagnosis, a rapid and complete cure with antibiotics is possible, otherwise it can lead to infertility and other complications in the case of a man and a woman.
- The need to prescribe antibiotics correctly and long enough to be taken in order to avoid the development of resistance to the pathogen.
- The sexual partner must also be treated.
- You can become infected with gonorrhea.