Herbal and Würzöle self-made!
Actually, a good time is always to a herbal oil! Garden herbs such as rosemary, Basil, mint, parsley and fennel are now year-round fresh and waiting to be harvested. The Manufacture of herbal oils and spice oils is easy. The main work in any case, the nature – you just have to muster some patience.
Which Oils suit which herbs?
Oils and herbs are an ideal Couple: herbs contain essential Oils and fat soluble aroma substances, and oils can absorb these volatile substances and to some extent preserve. In addition, the Oils contained Vitamin E increases as a natural antioxidant shelf-life.
As base oils sunflower, corn germ, safflower/ safflower oil, rapeseed oil or soya oil are suitable. They taste relatively neutral and can be flavoured with all the herbs.
Ingredients such as lemon, lime peel and dried mushrooms are a good fit for a grape seed oil. Strong aromatic herbs such as mint, Oregano, rosemary, thyme, Basil, chili peppers, Bay leaves blend the leaves and garlic with a cold-pressed olive oil.
The quality of the ingredients in the Würzöl
The A & O in the preparation of spice and herb oils are high quality ingredients. Garden herbs must be freshly harvested. Also spices such as Peppercorns, cloves and cinnamon should not have been a year and a half in the kitchen.
Frozen herbs are no Alternative: you have already lost a lot of their aroma compounds and result in neither an appetizing colour and a good taste. By the way, dried herbs are most suitable little.
Preparation of herbal oils
The herbs are spotted, washed and very carefully dried, because residual humidity is clouding the Oil. In the case of woody herbs such as thyme, rosemary and sage a squishing helps to increase the aromatic yield. The herbs and spices in a clean and dry bottle, close well and are completely doused with the Oil of choice.
After two to three weeks the Oil is flavored. Now it needs to be filtered out, that goes well with a coffee filter. The new bottle is provided with label (Name of the Oil and date of manufacture) and the Würzöl is ready to use.
Health risk due to self-produced Oils?
To never put more oil than they can consume within a short period of time. Because of the storage of self-made herbal oil – as in the case of self-in Oil, pickled vegetables – is the risk that the bacterium Clostridium botulinum is increased.
A nerve toxin that can cause human botulism can form botulinum toxin,. This is a serious disease that manifests itself initially by symptoms such as Nausea and vomiting and in the worst case, to respiratory paralysis and Asphyxiation can. In the United States and Canada, such a disease have been reported outbreaks especially after the consumption of garlic in Oil.
In order to reduce the risk of the propagation of Clostridium botulinum, should be the ingredients should always be thoroughly washed and dried before putting them in the Oil. A complete removal of the germs can not be guaranteed.
Therefore, you should consider the following additional tips:
- The proportion of water in the Würzöl should be kept to a minimum, and the acid content as high as possible.
- The Oil should always be stored in the refrigerator, because the bacteria can multiply at low temperatures.
- With a longer holding period, the risk for the development of botulinum toxin is increasing. They consume the Oil, therefore, as quickly as possible.
- The Oil is heated before the consumption of highly, for example, when using for Frying and cooking, can be toxins inactivated.
Note that the conditions of Production, in homemade herbal oils are not as good control as in the case of industrial products. Therefore, the risk of formation of botulinum toxin may be excluded. For more information on this topic is available at the Federal Institute for risk assessment.
Recipe suggestions for Würzöle
- Parsley oil: Enter 1 bunch (50-75 grams) flat-leaf parsley, and 1 teaspoon of salt to 100 milliliters of pumpkin seed oil or safflower oil grape. Parsley oil is suitable for all green and mixed salads as well as tomato salad; fried fish fillets.
- Chili oil: 3 red chilli peppers, you have destalked and deseeded cut into small pieces. Add 100 milliliters of soybean oil. For Chili con Carne, Asian vegetables dishes, and Barbecue marinades, this Oil is particularly suitable.
- Grillöl: 1 sprig of rosemary, Oregano, thyme and sage, 1 clove of garlic (peeled), 1 chili pepper, some seeds of mustard and some coriander seeds with 100 mg of olive oil in litres of a tasty Marinade.
The meat is salted and left for an hour before grilling in the Oil. Tasty pickled sheep cheese that is grilled in aluminium foil. The Oil also fits great with lamb dishes. Caution: meat is always good to drain before it is placed on the Grill!
Herbal oil for Short-cuts of meat
The following herbal oil is suitable for roasting. Here are the following ingredients of 100 mg of olive oil in litres of the wort:
- 1 sprig of thyme, sage and rosemary with or without flowers
- 1 leaf borage and Bay
- 1 clove of garlic (peeled)
- 1 teaspoon multicolored Peppercorns
You can also try other combinations: New blends will give you new taste experiences. Your imagination has no limits!