Mushrooms: fun with risk
A mystery, almost a little magical and, above all, taste are the mushrooms. Still, if you were self-collected. But beware: all Too often they are confused with poison mushrooms, sometimes with a fatal outcome. A few important things to keep in mind so that the enjoyment is not a risk to health.
Mushroom poisonings in history
Among historians, the presumption, even of the Roman Emperor Claudius had been a mushroom lover and would have paid for his passion with death. If really his wife or political opponents have enriched the last meal with the extract of Green tuber leaves, fungus, everything was just an unfortunate mix-up, or the death cause was quite different: the fact is that even today, mushroom poisoning occur, although rarely, and hardly fatal.
Exact Figures do not exist for Germany, a Central register is lacking, and people with mild symptoms of intoxication are not necessarily representations to the doctor. It is estimated that some 1-2 % of all poisonings are a result of mushrooms, and 8 % difficult.
Many poisonous mushrooms are neutral in taste
Claudius will have tasted of the poison mushroom is Mushrooms the Dangerous delicious: The poisons in the approximately 150 poisonous mushroom species are colourless and odourless, neutral in taste and not by local “test methods” as the black of a boiled silver will expose a spoon. In addition, a small amount is enough many, to unfold its dangerous effect. Also, the fact that the snail nibbling with relish to a mushroom, is not an indication of its non-toxicity – the metabolism of snails and other animals is comparable to that of humans.
Dangerous DoppelgangeR under the mushrooms
It is not easy to distinguish toxic from nontoxic mushrooms. Many of the approximately 100 edible mushrooms have dangerous look-alikes, not look only similar, but also pleasant to smell. But even boiling does not make the contained in them, poisons them off.
- Especially in it has the family of the knoll leaves mushrooms: The Green Toadstool is similar to the forest mushroom, the white spitzhütige and the white flachhütige Phalloides see the anise-Egerling or the meadow mushroom may be Confused with the similar.
- The fly agaric almost everyone is familiar with and knows that he is toxic.
- An unassuming and equally inedible Relative of the Panther mushroom, which is always confused with the edible pearl mushroom or the Stocky Wülstling.
- Crack mushrooms and funnel fungi such as the fog cap are so inconspicuous that many confusions are possible.
- Carbol-Egerlinge be called in the vernacular also “White poison mushroom”.
- The Bald Krempling is a special case, symptoms occur only after repeated indulgence, and are the result of an allergic reaction.
By the way: poisoning with tubular mushrooms (also known as sponge mushrooms called porcini include, for example, in this category) are usually mild. Dangerous slats mushrooms are on the other hand, you should wild mushrooms really only eat when you are quite sure to have no toxic caught.
more article content
- Mushrooms: fun with risk
- Mushrooms: Mushroom Poisoning
- Mushrooms: tips and information about edible mushrooms