Nutrition in AIDS
The nutritional status can influence the course of the AIDS disease are essential. HIV should Infected be advised as early as possible dietary, so it comes as no decrease in the body weight, the experts of the German Institute for nutritional medicine and dietetics in Aachen (D. I. E. T.) challenge.
The final stage of the immune deficiency disease AIDS goes hand in hand with the so-called Wasting syndrome, which is characterized by weight loss of more than 10 percent of the original weight, diarrhoea and/or fever. Because of the prevalence of malnutrition in HIV-Infected or AIDS-sick diet medical measures are of Central importance.
Due to the frequently reduced food intake caused by loss of appetite, vomiting, swallowing disorders, physical weakness, depression, medication side effects, and infections of the oral cavity, it comes to weight loss. When Concerned with a weight loss of more than 10 percent of targeted measures to stabilize the weight are displayed. A sufficient supply of energy on an oral (by mouth) diet is not possible, is indexed to an artificial diet with the special tube feed products.
Dietary recommendations for HIV-Infected and AIDS-Sick
- To prevent a weight loss with adequate energy intake. Eat many small portions throughout the day. Eat plenty of fruit and vegetables, potatoes, whole-grain products, and milk and milk products. A consume two to three times a week meat, and if possible – up to twice a fish. If you can foods with industrially-produced Drink your energy and protein supply support.
- In most of the Affected an increased need for water-soluble vitamins, can be compensated for by commercially available vitamin preparations. Particularly, the dose of B-vitamins and beta-carotene, but selenium, and zinc have a positive effect on the course of the disease. A medical check-up carried out Substitution is appropriate in particular cases.
- Avoid dishes made from raw or semi-raw foods of animal origin. Including foods containing raw eggs (Tiramisu, Mousse au chocolat, home-made Mayonnaise), raw dairy products (raw milk cheese), ungegartes meat, such as tartare, Carpaccio, raw sausages such as Salami, Teewurst or raw fall ham, raw oysters, fish or seafood (Sushi) and fried meat. There is a risk of Salmonella, and toxoplasmosis infection.
- Wash raw fruits and vegetables thoroughly in front of de m eating or peel it, if necessary. Avoid longer keep food warm.
- Make sure when by cases on the balance of water, Vitamin and mineral losses. The more you drink, the better! Fruit juice spritzers, Black tea, chamomile tea or fennel tea with a little salt should always be ready. You consume in by cases, no raw fruits and vegetables and eat a lot of small, easily digestible foods.
- In the case of chewing and swallowing a thick liquid, pureed or soft foods is. In the case of dryness of the mouth peppermint tea promotes the flow of saliva.
Source: German Institute for nutritional medicine and dietetics (D. I. E. T.), modified.