Nuts – tips for shopping and storage
Do not swallow, but spit!
Nuts must be eaten with all the senses, because a mold infestation is shown by a bitter taste. In the case of rancid nuts, the fat content is not spoiled, what you can taste, but also can see the smell, because the nut meat is not white but is yellowish in color. The degradation products of rancid fats can cause gastrointestinal upsets. Mold toxins are a result of the formation of Aflatoxins, which can cause especially liver and kidney cancer, and over-heating are stable. Especially pistachio nuts are often infested by mold, but also peanuts, almonds and Brazil nuts. Therefore, one should spit out the nuts, if it tastes even bitter or spoiled.
Tips for shopping and storage
- Spotty nut quality are not shells min. In the case of these nuts has been omitted in the bleaching of the shells by means of sulphur.
- In Nüssölen and make sure that they were not refined, because many important nutrients are destroyed.
- Packs with a dark-looking or damaged cores to avoid.
- You do the shake test: Rattling the core in the shell, so it’s dried up and old.
- Fresh nuts in plastic buy packaged, as they can form moisture which leads to mold.
- In the case of crushed nuts to the date of minimum durability. Generally prefer whole nuts to buy, because they can no longer be stored.
- Local (hazelnuts), to favour, as long transportation routes that increase the risk of mould fungus infestation.
- Nuts in a cool, dark and dry place.
back to article contents
- Nuts – tasty and nutritious
- Nuts – tips for shopping and storage