Organic meat – the latest Trend!
With the outbreak of the BSE crisis in the year 2000, the Trend to ecological animal husbandry, in particular cattle, has intensified. To get good meat today is no longer a Problem, because the nearly 21 000 (as of 2009) of the German Eco-farming farms are almost all organized in one of the recognised organic farming Association. In addition, many of the butcheries and super markets quality meat with labels to offer. Meat from species-appropriate animal husbandry and organic farming is more expensive, but the taste makes up for the loss in the wallet.
What is appropriate to the species is actually called?
- The calves must be at least 3 months, fed with milk.
- The animals are fed on demand and according to their level of development. The roughage proportion of the forage (primarily Grass and hay) must be in the case of animals of the bovine species, since ruminant – at least 60%.
- In the case of animal welfare the animals to take slower and longer need to be fattened. The benefit of the taste, because the species-appropriate feeding and the muscle activity of the animals increase in the percentage of intramuscular fat, the tender meat and juicy.
- The animals are kept in light and airy stables, you have plenty of exercise and outlet.
- The feed comes from the farm or from the Region.
- Antibiotics, fattening AIDS, performance enhancers, animal carcasses or bone-meals or genetically modified import food are prohibited.
- Short transport distances to the slaughterhouse, to spare the animals the Stress, so the stress hormone adrenaline can’t move on to the meat. In the animal transport regulation, which limits the transport times (on road, water and Rail within the EU: up to 8 hours) is taken in organic livestock production are even stricter (max. Distance: 200 km, transport time: 4 hours; only in exceptional cases, more).
Incidentally, organic farmers keep livestock breeds that provide a particularly tasty meat, and good for the ecological attitude. These animals are also less susceptible to diseases.
In the case of the processing to sausage, organic-butcher, with a few auxiliary substances. Butchers and processors, which are one of the growing the organic farming associations connected, must operate in accordance with its terms and conditions. This means:
- Lactic acid is approved for use in the processing of natural casings, and citric acid as a cutter means in the case of fine crushing (cutting) of some of the associations.
- Phosphate, in the conventional sausage processing to the binding used will not be used.
- The use of sodium nitrite is by some farming associations as a color – and preservative allowed with restrictions, in practice, is used. Organic sausages or smoked look, therefore, often a bit grey, as a cured meat. For the preservation Biometzger why rely on germ-inflammatory spices such as savory, and the pepper, the ham is salted, sausages smoked.
By the way: In organic sausage had just the ingredients in Bio-quality. Spices, herbs, onions or vegetables must be from organic production.
Where to get it?
Who would have thought: All the usual meat and sausage products are also available as organic products, even the specialities, such as Munich white sausages or Nürnberger Bratwürste. Is limited the selection only in the case of lamb meat, geese and ducks, and highly processed products.
Directly from farmers: The best and the cheapest meat is, if you buy it directly from the organic farmers. Here, however, larger quantities must be removed, which is why this purchase is for stockholding or you together with like-minded people.
Biometzger: The entire selection of meat and sausage there is at the organic butcher. In General, the meat comes from the Region, many Biometzger battles.
Organic shops and supermarkets: organic meat counters are rare. Usually the meat is cooled and packaged offered. The range is not as large as in the organic butcher’s shops, but the main meat and sausage products. Minced meat in the freezer. Organic meat own-brand food retailers, for example, are:
- Rewe Bio (Rewe Markt)
- Organic Food (Edeka, Purchase, Market Purchase)
- real,- Bio (Real market, Metro)
- tegut. bio (Tegut)
- Child of nature (Tengelmann, Kaiser’s)
- Alnatura (Alnatura health food stores, DM-drogerie market)
By the way: the vacuum-Packed meat last longer than fresh meat. When the package is opened, an intense smell of Flesh can arise, however, is not a sign of poor quality, but a sign of this is that the “locked-in” and compressed smell again unfolds. The meat should be spotted prior to the preparation of dry, but not washed. The fat in organic beef yellow is easy. This comes from the carotene and shows that the animal stood for the last months on the pasture.
Bio-applies to beef as a safe
It has been proven that Eco-offers beef, a good protection against BSE, since organic Farms are only small amounts of feed are bought in and not animal feed. However, cattle from organic Farms to BSE in some EU-countries, ill. In response, the German associations of Organic farming Bioland, Demeter and naturland have tightened their guidelines.