Salads – season all year round
Salads are not only healthy, they also have always the season of the year. Most of the salads are easy to prepare and fit as a lovely side dish to almost any main dishes, but also as a low-calorie main dish are you just on a hot day is a delight. Who in the summer on the slim line or just the body want to do something Good with the salad just right. Crisp summer salads such as the head and iceberg lettuce, curly lettuce or Lollo Rossa is a calories are low and at the same time healthy and colorful treat.
Salad: calories and ingredients
The green or red-green leaves provide the body with Beta-carotene, Vitamin B1, B2, and B6 as well as Vitamin C especially minerals such as potassium, phosphorus and Magnesium, as well as the “blood-forming” trace element iron are included in the salad. The energy content of most lettuce types is just 15 to 20 calories per 100 grams.
Despite its abundant water resources salad saturates well, since the dietary fiber sources in the colon and also affect the digestive positive. Cheap for the metabolism of the relatively low sodium and high potassium content, promotes drainage (“purification”) of the body is also. Since lettuce is eaten raw, and lost no vitamins and minerals by Heating or cooking.
Especially the more outer, deep green lettuce leaves contain valuable ingredients. Apart from the leaves outside, which can contain more nitrates and pollutants, they should therefore be possible, with used.
Lettuce: head lettuce, Iceberg lettuce and Batavia lettuce
In the summer months, head-, ice -, and Batavia salad of the season. They belong to the Lactuca or lettuce group. Because all three form a more or less solid “head”, refers to salads, they also often all as the head. Typical of the salads, the cos group is that the Incision of the Strunks and the leaves, a milky juice outlet.
- In spite of the many new lettuce types, lettuce is still popular. It tastes neutral and is prepared, therefore be versatile – an ideal basis for mixed salads of all kinds. When the outer, hard leaves of a thick, tightly closed head, as well as the strong Ribs are removed, can be washed the sheets and into bite-sized pieces plucked. Lettuce there are not only Green, but also as a red variant. This is free of substances of bitter, but less durable.
- As a special breeding direction of head lettuce of the much larger ice – or iceberg lettuce established. The color of the fleshy to brittle, but succulent leaves varies from yellow to dark green. Also red varieties are known. Because of its crisp bite and good durability of the Iceberg quickly found followers. So it can be several days – also cut or part to strip easily in a plastic container or damp cloth, Packed and kept in the fridge.
- A breeding of head and Iceberg lettuce, the Batavia lettuce is; in terms of size, he is about in between. This also applies to the texture of the leaves and for the durability. The taste is spicy as the lettuce. Its easy to gekrausten, thick fleshy leaves, depending on variety and Season, yellow, green, dark red-brown or green with reddish edges.
Cut salads and Lettuce
Decorative and tasty, the ruffled leaves of oak leaf lettuce, scarole, Frillice, Lollo rossa and Lollo bionda. From may/June to October, the varieties arrive fresh from the country.Especially in the winter half of the year, in addition, intersections of Oak leaf and Batavia lettuce, red Kraus salads, intersections of lettuce and Romana, or ice-Kraus salad from the greenhouse will be offered under the name of “scarole”.
All of the above varieties is referred to as a cut – and-leaf lettuces, since they do not form heads of lettuce, but individual leaves that grow from the rosettes. The expression “leaf lettuce” comes from the past, as to grow these fast-growing salads in the garden. When Harvesting cut a family just as many leaves as needed for a meal. The curly lettuce leaves have the property, after the first cut twice to grow.
Oak leaf lettuce, Lollo rossa/bionda and Frillice
- Oak leaf salad has its name because of the shape of its long, narrow and serrated leaves, has a stronger taste than lettuce and has a slight hazelnut note. It is available in light and dark green variants, as well as with red coloring. Its soft leaves are very sensitive, so it needs to be consumed after the shopping handled gently and quickly.
- The leaves of Italian varieties Lollo rossa, Lollo bionda, however, are quite hard and sturdy, but have a delicate edge. Both spicy, slightly bitter and nutty-tasting salad places for a few days in the fridge.
- Frillice is a relatively young type of Lettuce, which originated in Holland. It combines the crispness of the Eissalates and with your serrated salad, the decorative appearance of the Kraus lettuce edges. Frillice contains more Vitamin C than the head-forming lettuce types and tastes, such as Romaine lettuce (“summer Endive”) slightly tart-fragrant.
Also from the leaves of wild plants or garden flowers, a delicious salad can be ready – just think of dandelion, nettle and nasturtium. Often you can even use your beautiful flowers as edible decoration. However, only the young, tender leaves suitable for human consumption.