Spiral: contraception without hormones
The spiral, also intrauterine device, is in addition to pill and condom is one of the world’s most commonly used contraceptives. The 2.5 to 3.5 cm spiral is inserted into the uterus of the woman. While the first models of the intrauterine device had the Form of a spiral and, thus, the name-giving role, today’s copper spiral, mostly t-shaped, is made of plastic and has a copper wire wrapped shank. Sometimes gold is incorporated in the platelet, the spiral is better on the ultrasound detect it. The prevention of the spiral is considered to be very safe and can remain in good tolerability of five years in the body.
Spiral: effect and function
Exactly how the spiral works, it is not until the Detail is known, experts of several mechanisms, which lead to the prevention of:
- Copper ions in the uterus, are toxic and inhibitory to the sperm. You will lose so at orientation, ability, life span and mobility.
- The spiral is a foreign body and causes inflammation in the lining of the uterus, which is, however, harmless, since they are not caused by viruses or bacteria. The inflammatory cells can reduce sperm directly; at the same time, an implantation is by changing the womb lining is prevented. In case of emergency, is therefore used, sometimes, “the spiral after” (similar to the “morning after pill”).
- The Transport of ovum and sperm is hindered by a biased function of the fallopian tubes.
- Spiral: Use only by a woman doctor
Spiral – spiral remove
The Insertion of the spiral is always in a gynecological practice. A special sleeve is used, which facilitates the Insertion through the cervix into the uterus. Because the cervix is open during menstruation easily and pregnancy can be excluded in a rule, the gynecologist during the last days of the period of the spiral.
The spiral is placed with the aid of ultrasound; also is controlled in this way, the position at regular intervals. Women can also check for yourself on the basis of the Control clock, which are similar to the thread of a tampon palpate the location of the spiral.
The Insertion of the spiral lasts not long but most of the time a Pull or pain. Young women, their uterus is still growing, feel the Insertion of the spiral as unpleasant. Possibly an analgesic is recommended here. In rare cases it can come during Insertion of the spiral to injury.
Spiral: side effects and safety
The copper spiral was a short time after their development into disrepute, there is a specific model due to design errors to severe inflammation. The modern spiral mountains in the first months after the Onset of an increased risk of infection. Especially in the case of young women, inflammation of the pelvic area at the start of increasingly. The risk is increased by frequent intercourse with changing partners. On the thread of the spiral is easier for the germs rise to the surface, which can lead in the worst case, even to infertility.
Also, in the case of young women and girls, as well as in women who have born no child, the danger is greater that the spiral is ejected. Additionally, it may lead to bleeding disorders such as spotting, intermenstrual bleeding, or a generally enhanced and also longer menstruation. You may want to leave the seat of the spiral review. In addition, the spiral, often causes an increased vaginal discharge.
Slightly the risk of ectopic is increased in the prevention of spiral with pregnancy. A woman is in spite of a spiral pregnant, you must, you can remove it. Here, the 20-percent risk of a miscarriage, however, is Not-Remove is even higher.
Spiral: prevention suitable for everyone?
The prevention of the spiral is not suitable due to the above-mentioned disadvantages for each. In General, it is recommended for the following groups of people rather use another method of contraception:
- Young women and girls who have no child or whose uterus is still growing
- Women with cycle and menstruation disorders
- Blood clotting disorders and anemia
- Inflammation and (suspected) malignant disease of the uterus and the genitals
In the case of the following diseases, the Use of the spiral should be used only after careful Weighing of the risks with the doctor:
- Benign fibroids in the uterus
- Kidney disease
- Diabetes mellitus
- Treatments that require the use of a reducing effect on the immune system
In contrast, the spiral is suitable for the following people:
- Women who already have children and family planning have been completed
- Women who cannot take hormonal contraception or not on a natural cycle want to miss
- Women who want to make over a period of several years, no thoughts on prevention
The advantages of the spiral lie in the fact that the user can commit no handling of errors (the most common reason for pregnancy despite contraception) and not such as the forget pill. Women who already have children, are mostly clear with the spiral.
Spiral: cost and price
The cost of the spiral are to be borne by the patients themselves, except in the case of women up to the age of 20. Age and social welfare-eligible women. The cost for the spiral amount, depending on the model – between 25 and 40 Euro. The doctor charged in addition to the Insertion of the spiral of an amount between 80 and 130 euros.
The first ultrasound scan to Check the position for four to six weeks after the Onset of the spiral, and is taken over by the health insurance Fund. The other control studies, which are all six months is due, you must pay the patient. In General, the spiral enables a more cost-effective Form of contraception as the pill, when used from a period of at least three years.