Sports and nutrition: nutritional supplements and drinks
Food Supplement for high performance athletes
Food supplements (NEM) refers to the food offered in food-atypical Form, such as effervescent, lozenges, chewing tablets, capsules, coated tablets, flakes, powder, granules, juice or bran. Dietary supplements contain one or more substances in a concentrated Form, such as vitamins, minerals, trace elements, fiber, essential fatty acids and certain proteins and amino acids. Unlike medicines, which are tested for their quality, safety and efficacy, it does not require authorisation or registration.
According to the German nutrition society (DGE) is one such nutritional Supplement in a health-oriented Fitness Training in conjunction with a balanced diet and even a moderate performance sport is necessary. One should bear in mind also that there is currently no investigation of the effects of chronic Overdose of such preparations. Only for high performance athletes who regularly take part in competitions and intensive training and more than 2000 kilo-calories per week to consume, can be a nutritional Supplement is necessary, but should be consulted with a doctor.
Drinks – always
Exercise is sweating. And with the liquid minerals are excreted, which are important for the body and the need to be as quickly replaced. Depending on the level of Exertion of the exercise 1 to 1.5 litres per hour can be sweat out. The body takes this liquid from the blood and the tissue, with the result that the blood thickens literally “”. It flows more slowly, the supply of the muscle cells with oxygen and nutrients deteriorates and the risk of muscle cramps and strains is on the rise.
Fluid losses of just 2 % of the body weight will reduce the performance, a General power of kink is the result, and can lead to dizziness and Nausea, and even Circulatory collapse.
Properly quench the thirst
- In addition to water, or mineral water, the so-called Sport spritzer, which consists of mineral water mixed with fruit juice (a ratio of 1:3 to 1:1) is particularly well suited. In addition, the herbs are – or fruit teas and diluted vegetable juices and fatty broth poor vegetables.
- Isotonic drinks to bring in the sport for no significant advantage. They were actually designed for the high-performance sports, since the concentration of mineral substances which the blood is similar and the ingredients to get quickly into the bloodstream.
- Basically, the drinks are not too cold, and as little as possible sugar and carbonic acid. Unsuitable alcoholic and caffeinated drinks.
If you are thirsty, it is usually too late. Therefore, it should in principle be drunk before the body to signal a need for, so it’s best to quite some time before the physical activity. Also during physical activity, if possible, no larger fluid deficits should arise. The workout lasts longer than 60 minutes, you should drink while its always something new, and not large amounts at once, but distributed in small SIPS every 15-30 minutes.
back to article contents
- Sports and nutrition
- Sports and nutrition: the dining plan
- Sports and nutrition: nutritional supplements and drinks