If instead of feeding cattle with grain, we stored it and gave to the poor and starving, it could have become possible to feed all the chronically undernourished people in the whole world. If we did not eat at least half of the meat that we usually eat, we could have saved so much food that it would be just enough to feed all the developing countries.
One of the world’s known nutritionists, Jean Mayer, has estimated that reducing the meat consumption just by 10%, would release an amount of grain that is needed to feed 60 million people. The tragic and shocking truth is that 80-90% of the grain grown in the whole world goes only to feed the animals.
A study of the actual facts that stand behind the “food shortages,” is the basis for understanding of how to use the world’s resources properly. More and more scientists and economists begin to defend vegetarianism, which is a way to solve the hunger problem on our planet. It becomes obvious that the meat eating is the main reason of food shortage in the world.
Meaningless land exhaustion
Meat is the most uneconomical and ineffective food that we can eat. One pound of meat protein costs twelve times higher than the same amount of plant protein. Only 10% of protein and calories contained in meat can be assimilated by our organism, and the other 90% are just useless slag.
Huge areas of land are used for growing cattle fodder. These lands could have been used more productively if they were used for growing corn, beans or other leguminous vegetables. For example, for raising bulls one needs one acre of land for growing fodder to get one pound of protein. However, if the same land is sown by soybeans, we will get 17 pounds of protein!
In other words, in order to eat meat, one needs 17 times more soil than to eat soybeans. In addition, soybeans contain less fat and have no meat toxins.