These foods are considered as Functional Food
Many foods contain functional components with which health can improve. Several hundreds of plants and substances with medical effects have already been identified and according to their chemical structure, certain drug groups has been associated with it. Professor Paul Walter, a biochemist and nutrition expert, knows: “Only a third of the feeds today ideal. Therefore, it makes a lot of sense to eat foods that are enriched with certain additives.”
Plants and substances with medical effects
- Broccoli and other types of cabbage contain Isothiocyanates. Activate detoxifying enzymes in the body and have a cancer-inhibiting effect.
- Soy products contain isoflavones. These are the body’s own Estrogens are very similar. Also called the lignans from cereals, berries, and flax seed are similar to the Estrogen. Isoflavones and lignans have beneficial effects on hormone-dependent tissues and protect due to their antioxidant activity against cancer. In addition, you are in for a therapy of hormone-dependent osteoporosis interesting.
- Carotenoids give fruits and vegetables a yellow or red color. They are intended to protect the vessels.
- The red tomato color lycopene, Luthein from spinach and cabbage seem to be the risk for prostate and esophagus cancer.
- Phenols from tea, berries, and citrus fruits protect the cells from harmful oxidizing substances.
- Vegetable Oils contain various phytosterols, which are the desired cholesterol-related. In large quantities, you will reduce fat effective the blood.
- Onions, Peppers, and wine are rich in flavonoids. Flavonoids act as antioxidant, such as the catechins of green tea anti and strengths may be the immune system.
- Selenium and vitamins C and E contained in many fruits and vegetables. They act as antioxidants and thus have a positive effect on the immune system. Thus, they protect against cancer and cardiovascular diseases.
Healthy and nutritious
Substances that are enriched with certain additives, are, for example, ballast substances, vitamins, trace elements, minerals, plant substances or even living microorganisms with beneficial effects on the intestinal flora. Very important are the Trends the following presentation and packaging of this food is. Who wants to feed in powder or tablet form, or, like the astronauts, literally “from the Tube”? Hardly anyone in the long term.
Snacks and in between meals take up a wider space in the diet. Therefore, the functional components are integrated very often in popular edibles: in bars, Drinks, yogurts, cereals, the quickly and without additional effort to eat flakes or other.
In-house pharmacy or fridge?
A distinction between Functional Food and medicinal products is difficult. Experts argue whether the new edibles are really good for your health, or just the increase in sales of the food industry. Because so far only one thing is really sure: the consumer will need to grab for Functional Food deeper into the wallet.
The Trend is driving part of interesting flowers: The cholesterol bomb Egg was altered by feeding flax seed to chickens for the Omega Egg, which now contains essential fatty acids. A spoon of crushed Flaxseed daily has the same effect, and the new type of eggs and is still significantly cheaper.
Depending on the additional ingredient, the boundaries between food and drug are blurred. Some of the modern functional foods, such as, for example, hypoallergenic infant food are very to locate, close with products for the clinical nutrition (tube feeding). The Problem of the demarcation of foodstuffs and medicinal products will increase in the coming years.
The name of the food with extra sensitive is use today. Because they may not contain any false promises, and the consumer is not mislead. Also, who eats so many foods with a positive effect on hypertension or arteriosclerosis, in the case of extreme Obesity or other risk factors before a heart attack protect.
In Switzerland, information on the packaging such as “lowers cholesterol” or “strengthens allows the bone”. Claims on health effect, so-called “Health claims” (examples: “protects against osteoporosis,” or “prevents prostate cancer”), however, are strictly prohibited.The following statements (the so-called “claims”) for functional foods to be discussed in Switzerland:
|Nutrient content||Rich in calcium, low in saturated fats|
|Comparative Statements||Energy-reduced fat-reduced|
|Healthy Eating||For example: “rich in calcium. The health authority recommends a daily intake of x grams of calcium.”|
|Nutrient function||For example: “rich in calcium. Calcium helps build healthy bones.”|
|Risioko reduction||For example: “rich in calcium. A diet rich in calcium can prevent osteoporosis in later life”.|
|Therapeutic Statements||Any references to treatment or cure of diseases are prohibited.|
Help, but not a replacement
All the nutritionists agree on the importance of Functional Food in the diet. It’s supposed to be a complement and not a substitute for a healthy diet. The Zurich Social – and preventive medical, Prof. Felix Gutzwiller, Professor Paul Walter from Basel and Prof. Michael Teuber and Renato Amadò from the Institute of food Sciences of the ETH Zurich.
Functional or Novel Food is not a magic wand to solve our nutrition – and health problems. But it can be a handy addition.
The Details on the topic of
Functional Food: Too much of a Good thing?
Strictly, all foods are “functional”: they serve the supply of nutrients. The term Functional Food refers to a new food, the health… more