What all is there in chewing gum
Chewing gum 100 gum in the year is chew popular: Each of Deutsche chews estimates. Children delight often for chewing gum bubbles, and the colorful balls from the Gumball machine, but adults chewing gum like. The many different varieties can be chewed for various reasons: Some use chewing gum for dental care, others chew nicotine gum when you feel the Craving for a cigarette.
What is chewing gum anyway?
Chewing gum a mass that is flexible and easily deformable, sweet or sour tastes, and up to several hours chewed can be without this mass dissolves.
Chewing gum can be made from three different materials:
- One of them is mastic, a soft resin of the mastic tree. These gums are preferably chewed in the Arab region.
- The chewing gum base, Chicle comes from the white milky juice of the fruit of the mash Apple tree.
- The biggest part of chewing gum base, but is manufactured synthetically. Basic materials for this art represent substances from crude oil, sugar, fillers, and flavors.
Varieties and application areas
Long chewing gum will not be chewed up just to pass the time, but used for different purposes. As a result, the promise of a large market with various products, so there are now many types of chewing gums, each with different effects:
- Nicotine gum help smokers kick the Habit of Addiction. It is advisable to chew each time you Desire to cigarettes a nicotine chewing gum, where they should have a certain number of chewing gum per day do not exceed. By Chewing the nicotine is dissolved in a nicotine chewing gum, which through the mucous membranes in the mouth to enter the bloodstream. A nicotine gum is not addictive, but can cause some side effects such as dizziness, Nausea, indigestion and irritation in the throat.
- Caffeine chewing gum to replace coffee or tea. By Chewing the caffeine dissolves, is absorbed through the mucous membranes instantly and will help to stay awake. There are different varieties that are mixed with varying amounts of caffeine.
- Anyone who suffers from travel under travel nausea, which has the Option of a chewing gum against travel sickness. The drug dimenhydrinate. In the brain, dimenhydrinate inhibits the center for Nausea.
- Dental care chewing gum used to clean teeth and supply it with minerals. They are particularly used after the meal, if it is not possible to brush your teeth. A special kind of dental care chewing gums represent chewing gum with sodium carbonate, which is supposed to prevent tooth discoloration. This can be used to assist in professional teeth whitening used to the new discoloration to counteract.
Consequence of chewing gum consumption
Chewing releases the ingredients in the chewing gum. These mix with the saliva, be swallowed, into the digestive tract and be absorbed through mucous membranes into the bloodstream. Already the oral mucosa absorbs the substances dissolved in the blood system.
Thus, controversial ingredients like the sweetener aspartame, can reach into the bloodstream. Small amounts of aspartame to be harmless. The sweetener should be Wisely consumed. Especially for people with the metabolic disorder phenylketonuria, aspartame is toxic. Since the sweetener is a chemical product, you should also consume healthy people aspartame in moderation. If you want to be on the safe side, you should buy chewing gum without the harmful sweeteners.
Who chews often chewing gum, the danger, the muscles in the jaw and the jaw joints straining. This manifests itself as Cracking in the jaw when Chewing. Excessive Chewing can lead to a dysfunction of the temporomandibular joint.
A Positive effect of gum chewing
Chewing gum stimulates certain areas of the brain, have a favorable effect on the reduction of Stress. In addition, chewing gum increases chewing the blood circulation in the brain. Thus, about a quarter more oxygen in the brain, increasing the concentration and efficiency will be significantly increased.
Many people use chewing gum at takeoff and landing aircraft. The Chewing helps with the pressure that occurs during the fly in the ears, balance, and ear pain to prevent.
US researchers have found that chewing Gum boosts the metabolism. Our body consumes in an hour to Chew about 11 calories.
Chewing gum against dental caries?
Gum chewing leads to an increased production of saliva. This food will be washed away, remnants and for the teeth to harmful acids. As a result, the pH-value will rise in the mouth and makes it difficult for bacteria to multiply. Chewing gums without sugar are better because they offer a bacteria no nutrients. The multiplication of bacteria is thus kept low. So sugar can contribute-free chewing gum to protect the teeth from decay.
Particularly, the naturally-occurring sugar substitute xylitol has a positive effect on oral hygiene. However, you should pay attention to the fact that chewing Gum is not a substitute for daily brushing.
What are the chewing gum indigestible?
The body cannot digest chewing gum, or degrade. Who swallowed a chewing gum, leaves it undigested.
Often chewing gums contain a variety of additives to produce a pleasant taste. However, not all additives are in high doses for each easy to digest. The possible effects are abdominal pain and intolerances. The latter is especially effective if the sweetener sorbitol is found in chewing gum. Such a chewing gum to be chewed excessively, there may be a fructose intolerance. Also, excessive gum chewing, flatulence, and diarrhea cause.
Chewing gum from hair and clothes to remove
Set of chewing gum in Jeans, hair or textiles, so it is not easy to remove. Here are some budget tips:
- You put the clothes or textiles with a gum stain in a plastic bag for a few hours in the freezer. You can then scrape off the gum. Remains, you can treat this with alcohol or petrol. For that, you should give the substances previously on a cloth, and thus the chewing gum residues RUB.
- Chewing gum stuck in your hair, you should RUB the affected area generously with Oil, cream or Butter and the gum, then carefully piece by piece to pull out.
- If chewing gum on carpet and upholstery sticks to furniture, it is important to let it harden. Cold can effect batteries or cooling sports spray supportive. You can then scrape off the chewing gum and residues optionally with petrol or methylated spirits to treat.
Chewing gum do-it-yourself
Chewing gum allows you to produce yourself. In contrast to many bought chewing gum homemade bubble gum mass without artificial flavors, mineral oils, or other hidden ingredients. This allows you to chew, in good conscience, on the mass.
For the most common recipe you will need:
- 1 part Chicle (available in pharmacies)
- 2 to 3 parts of sugar or a healthier variant, xylitol (natural sweetener)
- Essential Oils (about 1.5 to 3.5 grams, 400 grams of Chicle)
- optionally, glycerol (up to 8 grams)
You heat up the Chicle to 60 degrees Celsius and add sugar or xylitol. Glycerin makes the mass softer and smoother, add them to taste something. If the mass is at 30 degrees Celsius is cooled, enrich these, depending on the flavor of your choice with essential Oils and herbs. Sprinkle then a tray with sugar or xylitol, roll the mass out and cut into chewing gum strips.
The history of chewing gum
The oldest chewing gum is supposed to be over 9,000 years old and made from birch pitch. Other archeological findings show that already in the stone age have chewed people on birch resin. For the first time, chewing gum was produced as a mass product made of spruce resin in 1848 in America. In 1982, an elastic chewing gum mass was invented, which allowed chewing gum bubbles, as we know chewing gum today.
Today, conventional chewing gum is mixed with artificial raw materials and thus, are non-biodegradable. Therefore, it will take years for gum to decompose, or decomposes.