What belongs on the label?
Did you know that the information specified on a label or elsewhere on the packaging of food by the legislator. This is not to make sure that the consumer is buying the proverbial “pig in a poke”. A closer look is worthwhile. On the label information about ingredients, quality, characteristics and properties of the food. This kind of calling card to facilitate the purchasing decision, and protect against fraud.
This is the name of the food. With the name, you can distinguish the kind of the food determined and it is of the other (e.g. similar).
The List Of Ingredients
Referred to what is in the food. There are no exact quantities, the ingredients are listed according to their weight: first and foremost, the main ingredient, to last the least amount.
Special features: Is highlighted in the case of a product an ingredient in the name or in a image must be in the list of ingredients or in the name of the proportion of this ingredient in percent. Example: cream pudding with … % cream.
We recognize you in General, your class names. This term describes the function of the additive. In addition to the class name, the Name of the additive itself or the EU-harmonised E is either number called, so, for example, thickening agent Guar gum; emulsifiers E 471, E 475.
Ingredients that are themselves made up of several ingredients
Here, the individual components need to be listed again. Example: chicken soup with noodles. In the list of ingredients is not only “pasta”, but also the ingredients of noodles (durum wheat semolina, eggs, salt) are listed.
- Exception: Not all the processed additives have to be called. The hint can be omitted, for example, if the additives go on the composite ingredients in the finished dish, and there is no technological effects. For example, The preservative sorbic acid in the fruit preparation of a Quark does not need to be called.
- This breakdown can also be omitted if the compound ingredient constitutes less than 25 percent of the finished food. As a result, unnecessarily long lists of ingredients should be avoided. Example: Raspberry Yogurt. In the list of ingredients yoghurt is “with 19 % of fruit preparation”. What are the ingredients of the fruit preparation must not be named.
Is included in the fruit preparation of yoghurt, for example, the preservative sorbic acid, it must be listed in the ingredients list. He falls, inter alia, together with the fruit preparation under the “25 percent rule”. Consumers who cannot tolerate sorbic acid, can’t tell from the ingredients list, therefore, whether this preservative is included in the yogurt. To en for Allergy sufferers that are dependent on a particular substance in the food meid, a Problem that may have health consequences. It is planned that this 25-percent rule to repeal, inter alia, due to the increasing number of allergies. The consumer should be fully informed about the content of the food.
The Allergen information is hidden in the ingredients list and it lists all the additives that most commonly cause allergies. This is on all packaged products mandatory. Some manufacturers give with the volunteers stating “may contain traces of…” on the packaging instructions about the possible contamination with allergens. The ingredients that account for 90 percent of food allergies are responsible, must be specified by name. To containing cereals, eggs, fish, molluscs, crustaceans, peanuts, soy, dairy products, nuts, mustard, celery, sulphur dioxide and sulphites above a certain concentration, as well as Lupine is part of gluten.
Some foods need to know in accordance with the EU law or the national guidelines, a special marking. As is indicated in the case of dairy products such as milk, cheese and yogurt the fat content in percent. Products from fruits such as jam, jelly or juice carry the label, how many grams of fruits in 100 grams of the product are processed. In the case of fish products the method of Catch, the method of manufacture and the fishing Region is given on the label.
From the 13. December 2016 should be on all food packages have a nutrition table with an indication of the nutrients (in grams) and the calorific value (kcal/kJ) of the product. The Nutrition information contains information about the content of energy (calorific value), fat, saturates, carbohydrates, sugars, protein and salt present in the food. By December 2016, the nutritional value table is only for products compulsory, the with your name relating to the nutritional value or the health. An example of the indication “low in fat”. Such information must be scientifically and comprehensibly marked occupied.
The Date Of Minimum Durability
Specifies the time to retain up the food in the unopened pack, its special properties such as odor, taste, color and nutrients at least. After the end of the date, the food is not spoiled automatically or be impaired. Before you use it, you should look, however, smell and possibly the taste check.
Special features: perishable foods such as prepacked minced meat to wear instead of the minimum durability date, ‘use by’ date. Up to this day, you should consume the product at the latest. The durability is guaranteed only if specific storage conditions, these are called. Example: “At 4-8 degrees Celsius best before …” or “in a Cool and dry place.”
The capacity to know about the weight, the volume or quantity of the packaged foodstuff.
Features: In the case of concentrated products, such as soups and sauces, you will also find the indication of how much the litre or millilitre of the reconstituted product. In the case of foodstuffs presented in a liquid medium, for example, fruit in cans or pickles, in addition, the drained net weight. Example: capacity of 825 g, drained weight 490 g.
The Manufacturer’s Specification
Called name or company and address of the manufacturer, packager or EU-based seller. In the case of a complaint, you and the seller can thus determine where the food originates.
Lot number or batch number
Assigns the food a lot. A ticket includes food, produced under practically the same conditions, manufactured and packaged. The product is claimed, the manufacturer with the help of the number of internal errors to pursue.
The identity indicator is used to identify the operation, wherein the food packaged or manufactured. This is only in the case of foods such as meat and dairy products, so all food of animal content. Specifically, the identification mark gives information on the EU member state (abbreviation), and the state by the operation is located. In addition, the labeling contains a special number, this is the approval number of the production.
The Base Price
It is the price per kilogram or per Liter of the life by means of. This allows you to compare the prices of products that are packaged in various quantities, such as cheese or meat. The base price must be placed at the final price. Many foods, however, are exempt from this specification. Example: 2,58 € / 4,98 Euro/kg.
Product seals and Logos
The labelling of food products with labels and Logos is based on the voluntary indication of the manufacturer. The Logos differ in the transparency, the importance and the quality can vary greatly. In the Following some statement are shown strong seal and Logos:
- EU-organic-Logo and the national Bio-seal: Both stands for the compliance with EU-regulations for organic farming.
- Without the-GM-label: The label to only food, do not carry any genetically modified components. The feed must be in the case of animal products free of genetic engineering.
- EU-seal of quality: The three EU-seal of quality called “protected designation of origin”, “Protected geographical indication” and “guaranteed traditional quality”. They are awarded to products that in a certain Region generates, in a particular area is made, or in the traditional way are produced. Wherein the Region and the production give the product a special quality and texture.
- Animal protection label: this label will appear, that in the case of fattening animals in better conditions, as it is a legal requirement.
- Fair Trade: The Logo stands for good working and living conditions of workers and employees who are involved in the production of the product.
- Regional window: This Logo makes the origin and the production site of agricultural ingredients.
- The MSC label for sustainable fishery: MSC stands for Marine Stewardship Council. This assesses the sustainability of fisheries.